“Renewing your certificate demonstrates your commitment to personal and professional growth, and lifelong learning ”
The renewal cycle for the Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CCHFM) credential is three (3) years, with expiration on the last day of the month in which certification expires. Renewal may be achieved by completing eligible professional development activities or retaking and passing the CCHFM Examination. The issued CCHFM certificate indicates the date certification was earned and expires. The certificant is fully responsible for keeping current the certification. CHES is not responsible for missed communications due to the certificant’s negligence to keep current the contact information in their record.
Renewal Applications must be submitted to CHES up to one (1) year in advance and no later than 30 days prior to the expiration date. Applications submitted more than 30 days past the expiration date are considered delinquent and will not be accepted. Certification may be regained only by re-taking and passing the CCCHFM Examination
A certificant who fails to meet the provisions is no longer considered certified and must cease using the certification credential representative of having achieved certification. Certification may be regained only through re-taking and passing the CCCHFM Examination.
DIRECTIONS Download and complete the form. Include your name and submission date on each page.
Section 1. Certificant Information
CHES uses the contact information in the certificant’s member record to send communications to certificants. Certificants are responsible for keeping current contact information in their record. If you are providing updated contact information on this application, please indicate such.
Section 2. Method of Certification Renewal
Identify method of renewal. A certificant can renew their certification by one of the following methods:
Option 1. Participation in eligible Continuing Professional Education (CPE) activities.
Renewal by this method requires the certificant to complete at least 45 contact hours of eligible continuing professional education within three (3) years prior to the current certification expiration date. When planning CPE activities, certificants may want to use the Examination score report to identify areas of study that may be beneficial. All completed education activities must be reported fully in Section 3 of the Application. Certification renewal processing fees apply. (See Section 4.)
Option 2. Successful CCCHFM Re-examination.
Renewal by this method requires taking and passing the CCCHFM Examination no more than one (1) year prior to certification expiration date. CCHFM Examinations taken more than one (1) year prior to the expiration date will not be eligible toward renewal.
- All CCHFM Examination fees and provisions for testing apply, i. e., register and schedule the CCHFM Examination online at www.ches.org. Information about CCHFM Examination registration and administration is available in the CCHFM Candidate Handbook (available online). Do not use this application to apply for the CCHFM Examination. Register for the Examination using the Renewal Application.
- Do not submit this application until you complete the CCHFM Examination. A copy of your CCHFM Examination score report showing a passing score must be attached to the completed application.
- Certification Renewal Application processing fee does not apply when renewing by re-examination. Late fee applies if the application is submitted up to 30 days past the certification expiration date.
Section 3. Reporting Eligible Activity for CCHFM Certification Renewal
CHES does not review, pre-approve, or endorse education programs as being eligible toward CCHFM certification renewal requirements. Reported activities are reviewed only when the completed Certification Renewal Application is submitted in fulfillment of the CCHFM certification renewal requirements.
1. Activities eligible for certification renewal requirements must meet the following criteria:
- Relate to one or more of the categories of the CCHFM Examination Content Outline below. Specific tasks related to each category are listed in the CCHFM Candidate Handbook and Application. For an activity that covers multiple Content Codes, enter the activity once and list all applicable Content Codes. It is not necessary to list sessions of a single education program separately.
|Content Code||CCHFM Content Outline Category|
|1||Code and Standards Compliance|
|2||Planning, Design, and Construction|
|3||Maintenance and Operations|
- Be categorized as one of the eligible Education Types of activities (see Chart of Credits below)
- Be at least 30 minutes in duration and be reported in a minimum of 0.5 contact hour increments.
- Not exceed the maximum number of hours allowed for a type of activity. Hours reported in excess of the maximum allowed for a given education type will not be eligible toward the certification renewal requirements (see Chart of Credits below).
- Be completed during the current certification renewal period.
2. A minimum of 45 contact hours of eligible activities must be fully reported on the Continuing Professional Education Reporting Form. If additional space is needed, make copies of the form. Include your name on each page.
- Education Program Title. List the name of the education event, e.g., conference, workshop, webinar, etc. Individual education sessions/presentations at an event/conference do not need to be listed. List the full title of the education event only.
- Education Provider. List who sponsored the event. If it is a provider other than CHES, please list the full name of that provider. Do not use acronyms.
- Date of Education. List the start and the end date of the program, including month, date, and year.
- Content Code (see Content Code table above). Use the code in the table above to identify how the content covered in the education links to the content domains covered on the exam, i.e., the CCHFM Examination Content Outline. If a session/event covered multiple content areas, list all that were covered.
- Type code is the type of eligible education activity as defined in the Chart of Credits below.
- Contact hours. Report in a minimum of 0.5 contact hour increments. Round up/down as appropriate.
◊ One (1) contact hour is one (1) clock hour (60 minutes) of structured education less meals, networking activities, etc.
◊ CEU = 1.0 contact hours; 1.0 CEU = ten (10) contact hours.
You are NOT required to submit proof of completion documentation for each activity unless your application is audited and you are requested by CHES to do so at that time. Please retain all supporting documentation/proof of completion for one (1) year past the date of submission of this Certification Renewal Application. CHES reserves the right, but is not obligated, to audit a certificant’s Renewal Application during that time. Documented proof of completion, content covered, etc., that is requested for an audit will not be returned.
|Education Type||Type Code||Education Description||Proof of Completion||3-Yr Maximum|
|Educational program||1||Participation in lecture, workshop, webinar, educational session, or case presentation provided by a professional healthcare association, healthcare facility or provider of services to a healthcare facility, or an industry- recognized provider of education. Participation in the same course more than once may be reported only once.||Certificate of attendance/ certificate of completion with contact hours earned||No limit|
|Academic coursework||2||From an accredited college or university
• One (1) semester credit = 15 contact hours
• One (1) quarter credit = 10 contact hours; includes in-person and online
|Grade report or copy of transcript||15 contact hours|
|Self-study||3||Program provided by a professional healthcare association, healthcare facility or provider of services to a healthcare facility, or an industry-recognized provider of education. Provider must award contact hours or a similar unit of continuing education.
Includes audio conferences, CHES archived webinars, and online education.
|Certificate of completion with contact hours earned||No limit|
|Professional presentations||4||Presentation at an educational program or a meeting of a national, regional, state, or local professional association or society. Hours may be reported for the first time only of a presentation, for twice the length of the educational program, for the speaker’s portion of that presentation.||Copy of program||15 contact hours|
|Academic teaching||5||Teaching at an accredited college or university (permitted only if this is not your full-time job)
• One (1) semester credit = 15 contact hours
• One (1) quarter credit = 10 contact hours
|Letter from academic institution||15 contact hours|
|Test item writing||6||Writing test items for an Examination
0.5 contact hours is awarded for each accepted test item.
|Letter from CHES||15 contact hours|
|Self-Assessment Examination||7||Completion of a Self-Assessment Examination (SAE) available through CHES earns five (5) contact hours||Individual Mastery Report provided by CHES||15 contact hours|
|Authoring/Publishing||8||Authoring a book chapter or at least two articles published in professional journals or periodicals with documented circulation that exceeds 1,000 readers earns five (5) contact hours. Publications must meet the following criteria:
• Be published within the three (3)-year certification cycle for which the professional education credit is being sought
• Relate to one or more content domain/task listed in the corresponding Examination content outline
• Bear the author’s name, publication’s name, and date of publication
• Be published outside of the certificant’s facility or place of business
|Copy of the book chapter or articles||15 contact hours|
|CHES Board of Directors or CHES Committees||9||Participation in CHES scheduled meetings or working sessions including but not limited to job analysis survey development and results review, test item development, exam key verification, or SAE review or development.
One (1) contact hour per hour of participation.
|Letter from CHES||No limit|
|Other Professional Committees||10||Participation in other Professional committee meetings or working sessions including but not limited to job analysis survey development and results review, test item development, exam key verification, or SAE review or development.
One (1) contact hour per hour of participation.
|Letter from Professional Group / Copy of minutes||30 contact hours|
Certificants are expected to pay the Certification renewal fee using the Renewal Application form
- Indicate amount and method of payment. The application will not be processed by CHES until payment is processed. Certification renewal fees are non-refundable.
- Submit completed application and payment by mail, fax, or email to:
4 Cataraqui Street, Suite 310
Kingston ON K7K 1Z7
Application processing time is generally about four (4) to six (6) weeks. Certificants submitting incomplete applications or with ineligible renewal activities will be contacted and provided an opportunity to resolve the issue. Certificants meeting all renewal requirements will be issued a new certificate of achievement listing the new certification expiration date. The certificate will be mailed to the address in the certificant’s member record.